Refabrication take 2

Posted by Picasa
The exhibition, HK & Shenzhen Bi-City Biennale of urbanism/architecture, had probably become my most hang around place recently, as this is probably the 4th (and well be the last time) to come here. The experience was vastly different between the day time and the night time scene. So that is why I spent the last ditch of effort to make sure that I took some photos with a proper camera. While my interest was on the exhibits, (which probably due to my long list of architecture friends, as well as my ex, who is an architect too), it was the venue which becomes my focal point of my visit. I never lay my foot on this "historical" building of old central police station/prison, even though I went pass it almost every week. There is a sense of rich colonial style of building and structure, to which I like a lot. It may be, as shown by some of the exhibit, one of the few places in HK still carried that "old" hong kong feeling. I heard/saw the plan for re-developing the site into something more up-market/modern. And my heart kind of sink for that (also felt some anguish about the whole idea/design). It seems like all this re-developments are more to do with commercial reason, then historical reasons. The Central area had been very much under an extreme make-over for the last couple of yrs after new high-rise building built and old but history structure had torn down for dubious reasons. My memory to the area has, reluctantly, suffered the same fate.

Comments

Popular Posts