Pierrot le Fou

One thing about going to this Godard class every Saturday afternoon is not merely watching his film and knows a bit about what's behind his thoughts/idea behind his work, but sometimes, more importantly, it allows me to do a bit of a self reflection on my daily life as well. His film depicted a time/era which is actually very similar to our days now. The over-materialised society in which we are seamlessly conforming without much space for thoughts. Everyone seems to be the same and they "have" to be the same in order to be part of this bigger society. Indeed, that stirkes me more than anything else since I am now living in Hong Kong in which everything that I dislike had been magneified 10 times larger.

In the last couple of months, I have started to play bowling with 2 friends rather regularly. There is this lady whom I only know by name from a no. of yrs ago, had become more familiar to me after a couple of games. To her, I am always being considered as "a bird with feet", much like the Lesile Cheung character in WKW's "Days of being wild". I was being read by as someone without much of a stable job, not sure where home is, definitely doesn't have family/wife/kids to deal with, not able to find a stable ground in this society. And then, my interest and hobbies are also pretty much the rest of the others.

I was not sure if this is my identity at all. If so, it was only because she is an classic example of a modern days conformist in our society. I always want to ask this question. To become a "stable" person, does that mean I have to conform with you have considered as "stable"? It almost goes back to the theory that I had many years ago, when I first saw "The Matrix", about this red pill and blue pill thing. The problem in us nowadays is that we accept everything that comes to us and we did not take any active role to think about whether they are suitable for us or not, or more importantly, whether they are what we want. We surrender and go for the easy way out because that's what everyone does. We always think that if we can be as good as everyone else, then it should be okay. We do what everyone do in the modern society, things we eat, we see, we listen to, we buy, we sell, we obsess. There is no need for thinking because all things had been done for us. All we have to do is to accept. And if we don't, we are then labelled as outclass.

Comments

Popular Posts