More than just lust


Watching Lust, Cautions had given me a intense feeling which I haven't experienced since..well, since a long time ago (in fact it was Micheal Hanake's "Time of the wolf" which had given me such a strong feeling. Yet, the difference is, while Hanake's film had almost pushed me out from the theatre, I was almost too willingly to stay at my seat until Ang Lee's film pushed me to the limit. Much like the female protagonist, which did not want to leave her dangerous situation even though she became more aware that her life is real danger because of what she did. Long after I walked out the theatre, I can still feel the film have a strong grip on me which is both long lasting and yet suffocating.

It's been a long time since I see a film with such a solid story and the mise-en-scene are so detailed convincing both at Shanghai and Hong Kong. I found Tony Leung's composure and the restraint on his characters are much more powerful than any of his previous characters he plays. Ang Lee was able to raise his acting to another level. The character he plays is not merely an evil or more correctly, a lustful person but actually a very lonely one, as suggested by himself. We don't see how he tortured his suspects or indeed any violence film. As an audience, we viewed him as someone exactly what Wong sees him to be. Although his lustful character made him attract to Wong, it was the loneliness which lays within him and allow him to go back Wong and start the relationship. The casting of Tong Wei as Wong..umm, it was like, she belongs to that era..she shouldn't even exist now.

Then, it was the lust part. the media and tabloids had made a big fuss about two people making love in the scene. For me, the love making scene was as powerful as I ever seen on screen. The only thing I can compare is "last tango in Paris" by Bertolliuci. It actually moves me to see the scene, not so much about the visual/sexual feeling but the inner struggle, as well as the outburst of love between the two characters. It was an very tense moment and both characters knew deep inside that, while showing their affection to each other, it was the hate (恨) in this unfaithful relationship in which each of them let others know.
Dunno why, I feel that as if I was the male character, I guess I used to love someone so much in order to have that thoughts. But that's probably another story. In any sense, having listened to the soundtrack for so many times before I walked in the cinema actually helps me to enjoy the film more. Now understanding where the hauntingly beautiful music had been used through out the film, it gives me another perspective in listening to it. As one of my friend said, "thank you Ang Lee!" for giving us such a beautiful yet strong cinema experience.

Comments

Popular Posts